Thursday, January 12, 2012

PLUCKER FAMILY PHOTOS

I believe this picture was taken in about 1910 or 1912. The setting is the manse at Germantown Presbyterian Church near Chancellor, South Dakota.

 
Sitting on chairs in the middle of the second row is Menne Alberts Plukker and his wife, Engel Anna Poppen Plukker. They are surrounded by many of their relatives, including John Poppe Plucker, my grandfather, (seated beside his wife, Christina Witte Plucker) second and third from the right in the second row. Grandpa Plucker is holding Lydia and Grandma is holding Alma.

On the left side in the third row at the end, you can see my father, Menne Elvin and his sister, Anna. Above them is Wilbur, who died at age 22 from a fall off a horse.

This shot would have been taken a bit later and professionally done. Aunt Alma was the only one who even hinted at a smile.
Back row: Menne, Wilbur, Anna. Front row: Alma, Christina, Lydia, John.

In a close-up of the folks shown above, you will see the officers of the church as well as ministers and their wives.
My Grandfather, John, is seated fourth from the left. 
The church was an extremely important part of the Plucker life. My Great Grandfather, Menne Albert, gave the land on which the Germantown Church is located. In addition, he gave the land for the Germantown Cemetery which is right across the road from the church.

As time went on, my Grandparents Plucker moved the family from the farm into the town of Lennox, South Dakota, a distance of about eight miles. Their house was always referred to as "the big house" because of its height and many rooms. That house is over 100 years old and is still on the same site. However, the town the Lennox has built up around it on all sides.

I will leave you for this posting with one of my favorite pictures: The baby in this photo is my father, Menne Elvin Plucker (born in 1900). Behind him is his brother, Wilbur and his sister, Anna.
I have this in a large (18 x 22) beautifully framed picture that my Aunt Alma very graciously gave me many years ago.

No comments: