Sunday, March 18, 2012

INSTALLMENT NINE - MEJ's Bio (Conclusion)

Conclusion

                You remember I said that my parents decided I was to be a preacher. I am convinced now, after all that has happened that the Lord had a very pronounced hand in the things that came about. During those three years that I spent in school in Dubuque, I spent much time singing with different organizations. Even though I was enrolled in the Academy or High School part of the school, I was a member of the college Glee Club.

               Also the head of the vocal music department organized a mixed double quartet to sing every Sunday morning in the downtown church. It was my good fortune to be a part of that. Also, I was given many pointers in the art of directing a choir by this same lady. So now I am firmly convinced that all this was in preparation for the time when we were to move back to South Dakota just one fourth mile east of the Germantown Church.

                This happened in 1934. In 1936 a Men’s Octet was organized and I was chosen as its leader. From 1936 until 1954 I was always connected with the music program of our church. Several times during those years we presented Easter and Christmas Cantatas with as many as 50 voices.
1946 Men's Chorus.
Dorothy DeVries, pianist; Wiert Eekhoff, Pastor

1955 Contata Choir
MEJ Plucker, Director

               The Octet that was organized in 1936 is still in existence in 1966, but is now known as the “Men’s Chorus” with a membership of about 15 or 16, instead of the original eight men.
        
               This seems to be the end of my ramblings about things that happened to me. Of course, there are many more events that I could have mentioned but they are of small importance to anyone but me.

                I hope that the effort I have put forth


is of enough interest so the person reading it


can stand reading all of it.


If not, so what?


Paper is cheap and so is my time.

Note: I wonder what MEJ would say if he could know that his writings would be posted on a page of the Internet. He would have been an avid user of the new technology, I know, although he might not have been so bold as to put his own story out there. But I am proud to be able to share his story and hope that it tells just a small bit of what his life was like from 1900 to 1968 when he died.


1 comment:

Robert Plucker said...

Thank you for sharing. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the Plucker family history. With my Grandma Eleanor, and my father James Plucker gone, I appreciate the wealth of information you have posted.
-Thank you,

Robert Joel Plucker (Named after one of Eleanor and Burt's children who died at birth)